Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Convenient Isn't Always Better

 

Some modern-day conveniences are wonderful to have around. The ability to keep up with church services via live stream and the chance to stay informed on current events and happenings with my family and friends on Facebook are some that I am most thankful for.

But one thing I have come to realize is:

Convenient isn't always better.

This past week was truly interesting. Our dishwasher had been experiencing technical difficulties and suddenly decided to stop working altogether.

A couple of days went by and my mom's laptop died as well. (So thankful we were able to get her previously purchased new one up and running without much hassle.)

The dishwasher, however, is still out of commission. Mom and I have been washing dishes by hand for a week now, and I really don't mind it.

Mom and I are HUGE coffee drinkers. We would often run out of needed coffee cups or find ourselves without some kitchen utensil we wanted because it was still sitting and waiting to be run through a wash cycle.

It is far too easy to rely on the convenience of this world. Life may appear to be less complicated, but in reality, it will never fail to leave your heart both in need and unsatisfied.

Having to wash everything by hand is certainly a switch. But, we are never in need of a coffee cup now. We haven't searched for a missing kitchen utensil either. That thought brought this familiar passage from Psalm 23 to mind: 


"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters."

"He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake".

 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." (Psalm 23:1-5 King James Version)

    The 1828 Webster's Dictionary defines the word want as being destitute or deficient in; not to have. In thinking about that, never being in want doesn't mean that you won't face hard times. Everyone does. It simply means that trusting in the Lord as your shepherd will never leave your heart as unsatisfied. You will always have His sheltering presence to provide comfort in the midst of great tribulation. The Lord is a faithful soldier against enemies, and He will never fail to fight for you each and every single day.


Another benefit that I have discovered from washing dishes by hand is that it soothes my arthritis. Several years of writing have led to spells of aching in my hands, & soaking them in the warm soapy water calms it right down.

That may seem like an interesting thought, but it's a fact that the convenience of this world will never truly ease those deep aches and pains felt throughout life.

The only true remedy is the warmth and love of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. 

"He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3 King James Version) 

My last thought of the day is that those processed dishwasher pods are much too expensive, and not everything comes out perfectly clean when you use them. There's always a spot missed or a piece of something that didn't thoroughly wash away.

We've been using a much cheaper dishwashing liquid & it is so much more thorough!

Everyone wants to be happy. Everyone likes something that makes them feel good. One of the dangers of modern-day religion is that it often promotes a feel-good message, never presenting the truth of the Gospel to so many lost and searching souls who are in need; never once giving an invitation to come to Christ for salvation. The practice of religion may bring you happiness for a while but...

Without salvation, anything else is much too expensive of a price to pay.

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 6:23 King James Version) 


True lasting joy comes from Jesus and the power of His saving grace.

And that gift is free.

No one is ever too lost for the Lord to save. 

A life with Him is always better.

                    "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13 King James Version)













No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...