Tuesday, May 10, 2016

I Am...Undefeated!!!



I’m back! I feel as if I’ve been away from the blog for the longest time when in reality it has only been one week. Pharyngitis was no fun at all! My week of down time was still buzzing with excitement. I can now say that I am an official published writer; just a small personal piece I wrote, but nonetheless a huge accomplishment! Two weeks ago, I submitted a “teenage letter” that I had written to myself to an online magazine called “The Mighty”; they are centered around empowering those who face illnesses and disabilities. I waited anxiously for several days before I received the “yes, we want to publish you” email. I was so excited; I had found this website on Facebook and had decided to write for them just to see if I could get published or not; I was NOT expecting them to accept my piece at all, especially on the first try, but I did it! I write because I love it; I have such a  passion for writing and I feel it in my bones every day. I’m always thinking of what I can write about next. My next goal is to tackle fiction, and perhaps some poetry. The sky is the limit! The feeling of satisfaction I get from expressing myself in that sort of way is truly incredible. I found a quote by Maya Angelou that I wanted to base this week’s post off of that speaks of facing adversity but never being defeated. Adversity seems to be the theme of my life.

    My journey has been laced with some of the rockiest roads and blessed with some of the smallest, most unimaginable victories. I am a true fighter; or at least I’d like to think of myself as one. I have always tried to rise above every life instance and I continuously remind myself that I am never the same as the day before; I’m constantly learning and growing. No matter what, I will never let myself be defeated. Everyone is “different” in some way and each person handles it in their own unique way and I have been guilty of letting life get the best of me and I haven’t made some of the smartest decisions. I think a lot of people will agree with me as I write this: if you allow yourself to sulk inside your differences, it will break your spirit. You will be crushed and without confidence you won’t be yourself and you won’t find your passion. I spent many years clueless and lonely, but one thing I never have been is defeated. I always get back on the metaphorical horse of life, because that’s what you’re supposed to do. In my darkest days, I found a great outlet of self expression. I’m a writer. I’ve always told stories, the only difference is I’ve not always written them as I do now. I love making people smile with my words. My friends and family will tell you I talk a lot once you get to know me. I’m proud of that and I own it. Take it or leave it. I feel that so often we let circumstances define us, and perhaps sometimes we as people don’t give ourselves enough credit. We let others tell us who we are. No one knows you best but you yourself. We’re all human. We all make mistakes. I have struggled with my past in many ways, but I am proud to say I am doing well and have tried to make the best of my life with what I have. I’m finally past all of the years of bullying and years of feeling unwanted and unloved. Some have knocked me down, but I always got right back up. I am undefeated. God has been so good to me and my family; I can’t thank Him enough. I am thankful that He blessed me with such strong willpower and an undying determination. I am undefeated. I have accomplished so much and my publication is just the beginning. I am undefeated. For those who bullied me, told me I wouldn’t amount to anything, to those who think they know me, for those who said I wasn’t pretty enough or smart enough…I’ve got something to say: I’m undefeated and you haven’t seen the last of me; the best is simply yet to come.

                             “We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated
                                                                       -Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...