Saturday, March 26, 2022

Running Home: His Everlasting Love (The Finale)

 (December 1974: Lincoln County, West Virginia)

 

“What a wonderful story,” Pastor Perry said with a smile. “I’m so sorry for your loss.  Would you want to say a few words before the service starts? he asked.

 

“Sure, I have a few notes here in my coat pocket that I wrote down last night,” I replied. “Shouldn’t we be going?”

 

Pastor Perry glanced at his watch. “I reckon so, are you ready?”

 

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” I replied nervously.

 

“It’ll be alright son, just speak from your heart,” he said, nudging my side with his hand.

 

The time for momma's homegoing service was now upon us. I didn’t know if I would ever be ready for this moment but my soul knew that I would one day see her again. We would both be in the presence of God’s everlasting love; the space that surrounded us would be filled with the wonderful peace, eternal hope, and boundless joy that His presence provides.

 

“It’s a pleasure to have you all here today,” Pastor Perry began, stepping in front of the small crowd. “Gordon, are you ready to say a few words before the service starts?

 

I stepped up to the crowd, never sure that the right words would come. How could I describe such a soldier of the faith? I looked down at my piece of paper and began to read:

 

There simply aren’t enough words to describe my momma. She truly lived her life in the moment and cherished her relationship with her Savior the most. She was a mother that taught me some of life’s greatest lessons in her own sweet way. She was an overcomer of many trials and her heart was always overflowing with unspeakable joy. It was amazing to see how Jesus filled the empty spaces that she had throughout her journey. She was a true soldier of the faith and the best momma you could ask for. I find comfort in knowing that one day when I reach Heaven’s gates there will be sweet victory amongst us all in the presence of His everlasting love.

 

“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

 

“Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...