Tuesday, November 7, 2017

My First APRIL Conference: New Experiences + More Joy



Hi guys! I've not posted to "Molly's Zone" for a hot minute, but I am more than excited to be back on the writing + publishing grind this week. I have been a very busy gal who's loving life, and I just wanted to stop by and give you guys a taste of some new experiences I've had that have brought me nothing more than pure joy and happiness over the past couple weeks.

I want to start off by saying again that my life has become so blessed and rich with powerful, beautiful, and emotionally tangible substance. A couple of weeks ago, I attended my first independent living conference as a West Virginia Statewide Independent Living Council member; APRILCON this year was held in Spokane, Washington. (APRIL stands for Associated Programs for Rural Independent Living). I had a blast! It was busy and there was work involved, but it was oh so much fun!

I encountered and conquered many major firsts in my life on this adventure: first of all, this was the first time I'd ever flown, period. I freaked out a little on the very first flight, but after I survived that, I handled the remainder of the trip like a true professional! We flew a total of six times (three connecting flights to Washington, and three flights connecting us home to Charleston, WV).

The conference was an empowering experience from start to finish. The first day was the pre conference and the youth conference, then the following two days were filled with back to back workshops. I took away so much. In addition to attending all but one workshop, I co presented a college accommodations workshop, thus proving to myself that I can do so much more than what I thought I was capable of; it really enhanced my confidence and taught me not to underestimate the power I have within me.  I even got up in front of 400 + people at the Sunday evening banquet during the Youth Wrap up to share my experience and sentiments. It was then that I truly realized how strong my passion for this field has become. I will continue to work towards and hope for my growth and development into a vocal force who truly makes a difference. The two workshops I loved the most: a social media focused disability advocacy workshop and one on grants and grant writing. I truly learned from them as it helped me to realize solid goals that I have for myself as a disability advocate, an up and comer in the independent living movement, and what role writing will play in it all.

The social media workshop was presented by Rooted In Rights, a disability rights organization that focuses on giving people an outlet to advocate for themselves and others using film, and/or blog. I plan on being involved with them in the new future. I love being identifiable as a writer, and I'm excited to bring my work into the disability rights realm one day very soon.

I now have a voice and a bigger sense of inspiration and determination to keep going and to keep being Molly. So thankful for this journey I am on!

Thank you to my fellow WVSILC council members, to APRIL, and to the Reeve Foundation for the amazing opportunity to come be a part of something so special! I can't wait to come back next year being more involved on the Youth Steering Committee, to work hard, and to make even more friends!

I have more material coming up next week up through Thanksgiving, but I want to end this by thanking everyone for all of the support over the past two years. I love everyone. Thank you all for cheering me on during this amazing ride! "Molly's Zone" started a little over two years ago during the lowest point of my life, and it has not only been my greatest blessing, but it has also led to all of this; this incredible life that has given me purpose, joy, and has helped me to come into my own.

One message I have to share with others: In all of my life so far, I have truly learned that one has so much power through just being themselves, and so much joy to be unveiled by doing so; power to bring light, inspiration, and hope into a rather uninformed, non accepting world. I truly couldn't ask for more.

1 comment:

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...