Thursday, May 13, 2021

Running Home: The Good Shepherd (Part 1)

 

    

    The abundant peace and sense of freedom that momma dreamed of as a little girl had found its way to our family. Momma continued to work at the dress shop. It always gave her a smile and a sense of purpose. The workers and Mrs. Hillman had grown to be a second family. Momma meant a lot to the customers. Her creative designs and ability to sew quickly garnered the loyalty of many regular shoppers. Momma was a loved and well-respected part of the city. Her life was abundant in blessings. The family's faith and humble beginnings shined through each of them like the brightest rays of the sun. 

The little bell sounded as the door to the shop inched open. The young woman looked familiar, as she frequented Hillman's quite a bit. Momma always loved having the chance to meet people. She found her voice working in Charleston. Every day the town seemed to be bustling with more and more people. 

"Hi!" the young woman said sweetly as she looked around the shop. 

"How can I help you?" Momma walked up to the lady, smiling from ear to ear. 

"I need a dress for a dinner party that I'm goin' to. Oh...I love this one with the bright floral pattern. It's so pretty!" 

The woman touched the fabric of the dress and her eyes lit up with excitement. She walked over to a rack with several articles of clothing, picking out a grey pencil skirt and admiring it before moving on to another rack nearby. 

"Y'all make the prettiest clothes." The woman said, stopping to rearrange the clothing in her arms. 

"I definitely want the skirt!" she continued happily. 

"Let me take that for ya. You got your arms full." Momma smiled as the young woman continued to browse. 

Momma draped the grey skirt over her arm and moved to the woman's side to help her find some other options as well. "What about this one?" Momma held up a royal blue party dress. "This is one of our best sellers." 

The woman's eyes widened. "Oh, I love that one too! I can't decide! You pick." 

Momma thought for a moment. "I think you would look stunning in the royal blue." 

She smiled brightly. "You think so?" Well, I'll take the dress and the skirt." her voice cheerful. 

Momma added the dress to the skirt she was carrying and walked to the cash register. 

"I want to thank you for helping me. What's your name?" the young woman asked. 

"My name is Melda." Momma replied with a smile. 

"Thank you so much for your help!" the woman said.

"Oh, it was no trouble at all!" Momma said happily. 

"No, I love it all. You're the best!" The young woman held out her hand. "I'm Cookie, by the way." 

Momma shook her hand and couldn't help but notice that her fingernails were painted a perfect mauve color. 

What a sweetheart.

Momma finished her day and drove home. The evening was early yet and she was looking forward to time with her family. 

Mamaw Sylvia always came over to help with dinner when momma worked. Most of the family had their own lives by now, but Mamaw still helped as much as she could. She loved her family. Dad came in from the farm as momma helped sit the last bowl of food on the kitchen table. 

"Hey, darlin' how was your day?" Dad asked, his eyes lovingly fixed on Momma. "Oh, it was great. I had the nicest girl come into the shop today. She didn't look much younger than you Gordon," Momma said with a chuckle. " I helped her pick out a nice royal blue dress." 

Dad smiled proudly. "That's great. Was it that party dress you were workin' on a few weeks ago?" 

"You bet and she loved it!" Momma smiled excitedly. "Her name is Cookie an absolute sweetheart." 

"Of course she did!" Dad beamed with pride. 

Momma sighed. "It's the first time I've ever gotten to help someone in the shop. I'm glad I took this job years ago. It turned out to be a huge blessing after all." 

"We're all proud of ya!" Mamaw Sylvia said, planting a kiss on Momma's forehead as she got up from the table. "Anybody want coffee?" 

Sunday evening rolled around and we headed down the road after finishing our dinner. Dad looked a bit more tired than usual, but no one thought much about it. He'd had health problems, but had seemed to recover for the most part. "He's probably just overdoin' it, but there ain't no tellin' him to slow down." Momma would always say. 

Dad shook everyone's hand as usual, and after he took his seat, stood up as service started and the preacher allowed the church members to share what God had done for them. 

"My Lord has always taken care of me and my family," he spoke boldly. "Melda and I have been through the wringer in our lives," Dad paused, momentarily, the words of praise trickling out of him. "When I didn't have no momma, Jesus was there. When we lost our Mavarine, Jesus was there. He smiled, as he motioned to momma and me in our seats. "I remember when my wife and I were young. He helped us both in mighty ways. He's been our shelter. He's been our rescuer. He's always provided for us. He saved our souls from a fiery hell." Dad recounted, as a tear fell down his cheek. "I am so thankful for what Christ has done for me. Life has been more than blessed because of Him. I don't know what else to say, but thank you, Jesus." Dad raised his hand, as he stood for a few minutes more before returning to his seat. There were several shouts of amen before we realized something was wrong. Dad's body instantly slumped over. 

"He's not breathing!" A lady beside me shouted. "Somebody call an ambulance!" 

Dad's funeral took place a few days later at Uncle Everett's house. Momma was heartbroken. "I just can't believe he's gone." She dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief. "I don't know how to go on without him. We were kids when we met." Momma hugged her sister tight. "He's in a better place. Such a wonderful man." Momma sniffled. "Thank you for everything, Della. I don't know what I would do without family." Momma continued. "At least he got to see Gordon grow up. That boy looks just like his dad." 

I'll never forget the feeling of those first few days without him. I knew we would get through it. Momma needed me, and I would always help take care of her. Still, I loved my dad. He was my first hero. A true testament of how a life of faith should be lived. A shining example of how one should always follow Jesus and trust in His leading with all of their might. 

Christ is the door of eternal life; the good shepherd will bless you in ways unexpected. All you have to do is allow Him into your heart and trust in Him to save you from an eternity separated from Him in a fiery hell. My dad showed me how important it was to share your faith. He testified until his very last breath. Through it all, my family never stopped trusting in the good shepherd. 


The Bible Way to Heaven

First, you must recognize that you are a sinner, and in need of a Savior. 

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23 King James Version) 


Christ gave His life for all of us, taking the payment for our sins on the cross. Jesus loves you so much, that He died for you. There's no greater friend than Jesus. His devotion is unmatched.

“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5;8 King James Version) 

A life without Christ leads to an eternity in the Lake of Fire, and a permanent separation from God. The greatest gift is the free offer of eternal life in Heaven. You won't be able to get to Heaven through morality or good works. Salvation is by grace through placing your faith in Jesus Christ. 

“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23 King James Version) 

Anyone can call upon the name of the Lord to be saved. God gives everyone the free will to make the choice to place their trust in Jesus, and His heart is always open to anyone who calls upon His name.

“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Romans 10:13 King James Version) 


The last step is simply placing your faith in Jesus through prayer by vocally acknowledging that you are a sinner who cannot acquire eternal life on your own, and asking Him into your heart and to save to save your soul from an eternity in Hell, accepting His free gift of Salvation. It is so worth it. Please don't wait. Tomorrow is not promised.


"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved". (Romans 10: 9 King James Version) 



       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...