Thursday, March 10, 2022

Running Home: The Rescuer (Short Story Series Story #4)

                                                         

(Lincoln County,WV:October 1933)



 

 

The brightness and warmth from the sunrise always caught my attention. Another year of seasons passed by too fast and life was always changing. I never grew tired of fresh air and the chance to think about life. Mama made sure to remind us daily that the Lord would take care of all our needs. Despite all our blessings, something in me felt broken. I wasn’t sure if anyone could mend my heart. I needed someone to listen.

 

The sunrise finished coming up, its brightness blinding my eyes. I could hear mama praying inside. She was a true soldier of faith. There was never a time that she wasn’t praying for all of us kids. The courage she kept throughout every battle amazed me. I hoped that one day I could be as strong as she was.

 

A familiar sound jolted me from my thoughts. Mr. Lemaster arrived with our week’s earnings: milk, eggs, a basket of fruits and vegetables, and sewing materials for mama. She came outside to greet him.

 

“Tom, how nice to see you!”  she said, waving happily. “What brings you out on a Saturday?”

 

“Well, I was a day late giving you what I owe ya, so I thought I’d come today and tell ya that there’s a revival this month at church. I just wanted to know if you would come.” He walked over, handing her the basket of goods.

 

“Thank you for all this,” she replied. “I’m sure we will be back soon. Just got a lot goin’ on.” Mr. Lemaster smiled.

 

“It’ll be alright,” he spoke gently. “We went through somethin’ similar from not havin’ June around.” He continued.  "You’ll get past it in time. Me and the boys are prayin’ for ya.”  He straightened his hat and turned to leave, giving a wave goodbye.

 

“Thanks again!” Mama yelled out as she watched him go down the road.

 

The next couple of weeks passed by in a blur. Revival meetings began at church and mama took us faithfully. Many preachers preached, and we took a lot from the messages shared. One of the services, in particular, changed the course of my life forever. It was called, “The Rescuer.”  The preacher shared God’s Word and told us how Jesus died on the cross, paying the debt of our sins. He shared the story of His salvation and how he never knew true joy and peace before Jesus. When he was eight years old, his mother told him about Jesus and his saving grace. Seeing himself as a lost sinner, he realized that he needed a rescuer. She ended up leading him to the Lord that day. He accepted Christ as his personal Savior; forever having eternal life in Heaven and freedom from spending an eternity in a fiery place of torment called Hell. He went on to describe how Jesus had given him a life of purpose he never imagined.

 

His words spoke to my heart. As the service came to a close, he spoke once more, giving that evening’s invitation:

 

“If there is anyone here who would like to trust in Christ tonight for salvation, raise your hand and come on up, and I will help you. Let Jesus be your rescuer.”  He scanned the small crowd as several hands flew up. I eased up out of my seat, making my way up to the altar.

 

“I know I’ve been needin’ a rescuer,” I spoke up. We talked for several minutes, and then he began leading me through prayer for salvation.

 

“Jesus, I accept that You are the Son of God, and I know I’m a sinner,” he began.

 

“Jesus, I accept that You are the Son of God, and I know that I’m a sinner,” I repeated.

 

“I believe that You died on the cross, paying the debt for all of my sins and rose again,”  he continued.

 

“I believe that You died on the cross, paying the debt for all of my sins and rose again,” I repeated.

 

“I accept You as my Lord and Savior, placing my faith and trust in You from this moment on.  Amen,” he said.

 

“I accept You as my Lord and Savior, placing my faith and trust in You from this moment on. Amen,” I repeated, excitedly.

 

After the prayer and a few more minutes of conversation, I made my way back to my seat. Mama enveloped me in a big hug, squeezing me as tight as she could.

 

That was the day everything shifted for us. Christ isn’t about religion. Salvation is by His saving grace through faith. It is a personal relationship with Jesus. He helped me see my need for the rescuer. The service ended and a little while later, I could see Frank coming my way.

 

“My dad wanted me to come over and tell you that we’re happy for you,” he said with a warm smile on his face.

 

“Thanks!” I replied, with a smile. “I have enjoyed this week.”  I looked around and spotted Mr. Lemaster in the crowd.

 

“Can we walk y‘all  back to your house?” Frank asked.

 

“Well, sure I guess,” I replied with a smile.

 

As both families headed home, everybody felt a sense of hope and excitement. Life would never be the same again, instead, it would be a journey full of adventure. God was faithful and mama’s prayers were answered. My heart was so glad to know the rescuer.

 

The Bible Way to Heaven

 

We’re All Sinners: “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)

 

We Were Sent A Savior: “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)

 

We Were Supplied A Gift: “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23)

 

We Can Simply Call: “For whosoever shall upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:13)

 

We Must Confess: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved”. (Romans 10:9)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...