Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Looking Beyond a Disability

A simple question that I was asked to write about this week is one that really intrigued me, and that question was "What do you think of me?",  and it prompted me to interview several people I have come into contact with in various parts of my life; I felt that these individuals no longer "see" my disability, but instead they see me for the person I am on the inside. 


Today, I am known to be very smart, kind, dedicated, strong willed and courageous. I wasn't always so much of a fighter. I grew up as a shy and quiet little girl who slowly learned that she was smart and could learn anything despite her disability; being smart was the one thing that got me through being picked on by my peers, and it was also the very thing that gave me my first bit of confidence. I was great at school. However, I have gained so much more of it by experiences and slowly adapting to life as it is. I've come to realize my strength and talent as a writer. I have also survived many really tough situations that would make others crumble. I've kept a smile the whole way, because that's what you have to do in life, and that outlook has made me the confident person I am today. 


The people who only see me for my weaknesses are those who I don't allow in my life anymore. I've always had a huge heart for everyone, and if you're my friend, I will be as loyal and loving as I can possibly be. I've had to learn through time that not everyone is a friend, and if I feel someone is not enhancing my life then I cut them out and move on. I can happily say my adult life has been filled with some awesome people; I have a few close childhood friends that I still talk to as well. In life, I have discovered four important steps that can help one to truly see themselves beyond their disability; they are:

1) Always Be Yourself: No matter your situation, you should never deviate from your true self. At the end of day, others opinions of you aren't what counts, because that's all they are and they don't define a person; however, if you want to make a lasting impression on someone, it should always be a positive one. You would be surprised at the lives you'll touch and how great it will feel when you know your attitude has made someone's day.   

2)Keep Moving Forward: It is easy for all of us to look back at one point of our lives and feel sad about a situation or obstacle we've struggled with. That's human nature. We can't allow our minds to hold us back from something great that God has planned for us, and we can't give power to our feelings and let them take away our joy. Don't be a victim of your circumstances. Keep moving forward! 

3)Keep Striving: Every accomplishment is awesome. Never stop working towards your goals. Even though I never made it on the basketball team, after tryouts were over I decided to be the team manager for a few games my 7th grade year. Get involved and keep striving!

4)Realize Life Isn't Going to Be Easy: Lastly, you should know that life can be complicated and putting on a brave face can be difficult; this can even apply to the nondisabled person. A happy and confident existence is possible if you help yourself to know that everyone is unique for a special reason; there is purpose in absolutely everything and applying these "steps" to your life is the key because doing so will help you find your own voice and that equals confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...