Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Characteristics of Success


Last week, I played the role of advocate by discussing the quality of education that students with disabilities receive; I wanted this week to vary a little bit by writing a post that shares personal insight into a how a child’s upbringing can influence their child’s educational experience as a whole. Today, I’m going to discuss three characteristics that I have developed through the years; ones that are of vital importance in regards to the development of self sufficiency: positivity, a spirit of determination, and a good, solid work ethic.

The influences and the education a child receives not only comes from the teachers and the technology that is available in today’s society, but it is also one of the many responsibilities a parent has; I am not a parent, but I have been fortunate to have a mother who has influenced me in such a positive way by helping me to become the strong willed and mostly independent person I’ve become.

My mother has always shown me how to have a positive outlook on life in the face of adversity. I have faced many trials and tribulations with her by my side. I grew up not having the best of childhoods, but we’ve always had happy moments and she’s always been an example of strength for me. I’ve always looked up to her. I’ve always loved school and she encouraged me to challenge myself as much as I could because she knew of my potential. I don’t come from a family of quitters. Why should having cerebral palsy stop me from accomplishing anything and everything I could dream of? I’ve learned to never give up. Kids need parents that don’t enable them to settle for less than they are capable of; in other words, don’t baby them. Help your child to set realistic, attainable goals. Let’s face it, I’m never going to be a performer on Broadway, but my life has worked out pretty well because I was taught to always keep going in life. Without my mother, there’s so much I would have missed out on. You’ve got to teach your child to look at all possibilities and to accept themselves. The main goal that you would want to achieve is probably for them to say, “I can get through anything life throws at me”, and time helps to achieve that.

Secondly, a spirit of determination is another essential characteristic that must be developed in childhood. A disability is a huge challenge and can be much harder to deal with without a bit of tough skin. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that life doesn’t really get easier, your childhood problems simply morph into adult problems. I am for the most part an emotional person; life isn’t all rainbows and sunshine; however, I have always been a very strong willed girl; I proudly inherited that from my mother. Emotions are perfectly healthy every now and then, just don’t let it overpower you. I’m a self admitted work in progress on that; I’m getting there! Struggles usually work to make you appreciate the little things more.

Lastly, a strong work ethic is another attribute of mine that I come by honestly; both my parents are naturally hard working people; however, it is also an influenced trait. I learned from watching my mother go to work with high fevers and being extremely sick. She has never stopped no matter what she’s gone through; I find that so admirable. I feel that having a disability causes me to work harder than others, simply because of the fact that growing up I always felt I possessed a disadvantage; not so much these days, but I still love to work hard, and I enjoy what I do. I’m proud and I’m so thankful to have my mother who has always pushed me to achieve greatness. The best way to influence the development of these attributes in a child with a disability is to be an example of those very things for them; if you do so, there’s no telling how happy, well adjusted and grateful they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...