Thursday, March 9, 2023

The Seed of Reliance

 Have you ever been caught in a rainstorm without an umbrella?

Those kinds of storms are never fun. They seem to be the hardest and the most unexpected. Dark clouds cast an unsettling shadow over a perfect day. The raindrops are cold. You're suddenly soaked and running to find a place of shelter.

In your mind you're thinking: if I'd known this was going to happen, I would have kept my umbrella handy.

A most uncomfortable truth to accept is that we can never see what lies ahead for us. It's far too easy to forget how much we need Jesus. Even on our sunniest days, we still need keep Him close.

Lupus is an unfair autoimmune disease that my mother has battled for nine years now, and last summer, the flare up she experienced was her worst to date. It really shook our world to its core. We are still praising the Lord for all of the recovery progress she has made.

This unexpected situation matured our relationship and it definitely planted a seed of reliance on Jesus in our hearts. It was so hard to watch the most independent person I know struggle through simple tasks.

I remember how panicked I felt when this first came about. It hit out of the blue. I cried many tears wondering how I was going to help her as I felt incapable due to my own disability.

I knew how much she hated losing her independence. She wasn't able to walk or drive for the better part of six weeks. To say it was tough would be quite the understatement. I couldn't begin to imagine what she experienced through the moments I couldn't see. 

Jesus carried us through that time and we are so grateful. I know because of that experience I have a sense of confidence and that I never had before.

The sort of confidence that is only found through relying on the hope and provision that faith in Jesus provides. He's always there through each and every moment. We never saw that storm coming. We were never ready for it.

Yet, Jesus gave us the patience to go through it.

"By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."

"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;"

'And patience, experience; and experience, hope:" (Romans 5:2-4 KJV)

And though the days are much better now, not relying on Him will never be an option. It's never a great idea to be without a place to find shelter. It's never okay to rely solely on your own strength or independence. You're never capable enough to do it all on your own.

That seed of reliance is so crucial in our daily lives. We all need Jesus. Every single day. His guidance leads us in the right direction as we face each day. The sufficiency of His grace especially gives us the patience and the power that we need to walk through seasons of weakness.

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...