Thursday, February 2, 2017

What Can I Offer As an Advocate?



Every person who lives with a disability faces huge challenges in this world. The core issue that stands in between those with disabilities and having a voice that's heard is simply how the world defines what a disability is. For instance, Webster's Dictionary states that a disability is the condition of being unable to perform as a consequence of physical or mental unfitness; the definition itself bothers me because it is so vague and leaves room for someone to make the unfair assumption that those who have a disability can't function period. The thought is both unfair and untrue. I'm here today to provide my own definition of the word; I'm here to tell you that while cerebral palsy is a part of me, it does not define me at all; I'm a perfectly normal college graduate who is just trying to make her way in society. I haven't been dealt the smoothest of cards, but I have accepted life for what it is and I've made the best of what I have. I feel that I can offer three very important qualities to the ever growing disability community: a voice, encouragement, and a spirit of boundless determination. 

I cannot use my voice to speak for every disabled person, because each situation is unique and everyone has their own specific sets of challenges to face that vary vastly in types and severity. I do not understand what another impaired person is going through, and they can't perfectly understand me. I can and will speak on their behalf. First of all, I want to do whatever I can to rid the world of stigma that is placed on someone automatically just because they are "different". On my journey, I have done whatever I could to let people know that they can accomplish anything they set their mind to. I graduated from college with a 3.6 GPA, I don't drive, but I don't let that stop me. I have to rely on family and friends to go where I need to go. I still live life. I cook. I clean. I do laundry. I do everything that I'm physically capable of doing. 

Encouragement is the main purpose and hope I have in terms of writing. I used to be very shy, but it has opened doors for me and has given me the confidence I need to speak up and help others. I have always lived my life to inspire others. When  I was in the 7th grade, I wanted to be on the girls' basketball team, and I am so thankful that my mom let me dream. Knowing I probably wouldn't make the team she still happily took me for a physical, let my sign up and tryout with every ounce of love and support she had ; I in fact did not make the team, but I was the team manager for a little less than half the season. I had so much fun. I hope to encourage others to keep dreaming and keep going because you never know where life can take you. A disability is not a death sentence. You make accommodations wherever it is necessary; another example besides the driving is the fact that I cannot use a broom. I've tried.   I can't hold it right in my hands. My mom solved that problem by buying me a Swiffer Dry Sweeper that you can charge and use. I love it. There is a solution to every problem. You got to work with what you've got and learn to work around the hard stuff. 

Lastly, as an advocate I hope to instill in people a sense of determination. As I've stated, I know each situation is different but anyone can benefit from really being aware of the opportunities that lie before them; a lot are unaware that there is a whole community dedicated to advocacy, disability rights, and activism. I am determined and focused on lending my voice to speak on issues, spread the word about all of these organizations, to encourage others to get involved, and to inspire as much as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...