Wednesday, July 28, 2021

From Comfort to Commitment

The comfort of what we know provides us with an overall sense of stability, security, and contentment. We become enveloped in a familiar routine that shapes our self-perception and how we view life from a  general standpoint.

The interesting part about life is that there are situations that God can use to force us out of our self-developed comfort zone. The past few weeks have proven to be a huge challenge for Mom and me. Suddenly going from a three-member family down to just us two has led to quite the period of adjustment. I've had such a hard time figuring out how to enjoy a kind of freedom that I've never had as an adult. It is the first time I've only ever had to worry about myself during the day. While I'm slowly learning to enjoy it, I can't help but feel like a totally different person.

My thoughts regarding a lot of my personal history have suddenly matured. I'm discovering new things I enjoy. My new daily routines are for someone who still feels like a stranger I've just met. 

In this new season, I am faced with the question of: Who am I and what all can Christ do for me?

I think all of us come to visit this area at some point in our lives. This thought not only pertains to Christians but also to those who are lost and without Christ. Our day-to-day lives can become so busy and mundane in nature, that we become too comfortable in the surroundings we are familiar with. We become too attached to the inner burdens we carry. We wrongfully identify with them, and we settle for less than what God wants for our lives.

We give just enough to fulfill our requirements so that we don't have to step out and do something that we've never done before. 

What if the "just enough" attitude is what's keeping you from truly living your life to its fullest for Jesus Christ? 

I want to spend some time looking at both the definitions of the words comfortable and commitment: 

The word comfortable is described as providing physical ease or relaxation.

Commitment is described as the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause or activity.

Life in itself requires continual dedication and is never easy. The same could be said about the walk with Christ. What is God calling you to do? If you have never been saved, what's holding you back from Him? 

Are you afraid of what a new life might mean? I can assure you that deciding to accept Him as your Savior is the best decision you could make. Don't settle for a life without Christ. He can give you so much more joy and purpose than what you could ever find on Earth. The world offers you nothing of value. Don't wait until it's too late. 

As a Christian, what's holding you back in your walk with Christ? Have you become so busy that you've become too relaxed when it comes to serving God or in other areas of your life? Maybe this is an opportunity for you to try to develop healthier habits and go on even the smallest adventure. God has something great in store for you. You just have to step away from your own place of comfort and commit to finding out what that is. 


Who are you and what would you like Christ to do in your life? What's keeping you from stepping from comfort to commitment in this moment?  

"Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually." (Psalm 119:117 King James Version) 

"The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower". (Psalm 18:2 King James Version) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust In His Timing

  The Lord placed a little thought on my heart today & I felt like sharing... As I've been cleaning today, I can honestly say I lov...